- Experience team builder and team leader
- Experienced presenter, both technical and marketing/product management
- System architecture and design, both hardware and software components
- Agile design and development
- Embedded system design and development (C, C++, Assembler)
- Mobile design and development (iOS, Android)
- Professional engineer (PEO) with over 35 years of experience
- Certified Yoga Instructor and Personal Trainer
- B.Eng in System Engineering from Carleton University, 1986
Invert Inc – Director or R&D
- April 2022 – present
- Responsible for building, managing and leading the in-house R&D team
- Product development is 3-tier consumer and enterprise app focused on carbon credit and offset sales
- Mobile app, web app, enterprise web, API server and DB technologies are all incorporated into the carbon footprint and offset solution developed, released, and supported.
Canopy Growth Corp – Head of Industrial Design and User Experience
- May 2018 – April 2022
- Working as part of an interdisciplinary team to construct industry leading cannabis oil and flower-based vaporizer products.
- Built entire software team that is responsible for everything from web site, mobile app, team automation, industrial automation to embedded firmware
- Performing system engineering design and analysis of vape products.
- Working closely with SciDev to develop oil formulations (THC and CBD) for use in our vape devices.
Invest Ottawa – Entrepreneur In Residence
- Jan 2016 – May 2018
- Worked specifically with early stage startups, both in the technical field and brick and mortar operations, job was to assess the stage of the company or idea, assess the capabilities of the entrepreneur and then recommend them for specific programs and assistance offered by Invest Ottawa.
- With some clients I entered into a coaching/mentoring relationship where I would meet weekly or bi-weekly, provide advice, and direction and set objectives that could be tracked to show progress and suitability for more advanced mentorship.
Greco Colonnade – Owner, Personal Trainer
- Jun 2013 – Mar 2016
- As owner/operator of the Greco Colonnade location I was responsible for all aspects of the operation of the franchise.
- My staff of 10 and I were responsible for the day to day services of our over 400 members.
- I am also a personal trainer and certified yoga instructor so I interacted directly with members in class and in 1-on-1 training sessions.
Skyreader Media Inc – CTO
- Nov 2011 – Oct 2013
- Skyreader Media is a publisher of mobile apps for the iPad. With our proprietary technology platform, and over 4,500 children’s book titles under license we are bringing lots of Great Stories to children.
- As CTO I was responsible for designing and developing our next generation e-book authoring platform, which was composed of a free web-based authoring tool and a mobile (iOS and Android) e-reader platform that enabled individuals to self-publish animated children’s books on all mobile e-reader platforms.
- I build and managed a staff of 14 in Ottawa composed of developers and graphic artists as we not only developed the software platform but provided custom e-book development services to high end customers.
Privasoft Corporation – CTO
- May 2007 – Feb 2011
- As CTO (also functioning as VP of Engineering) I was instrumental in moving the company from a customer focused software development company to a market focused product development company.
- Changes that were made to the development group and process included:
- introduction of product and maintenance release processes
- introduction of bug tracking system
- introduction of metrics for measuring health of the software and the development backlog
- development of software testing process, regression testing and quality
- introduction of a modified agile development
- re-engineering of the product from traditional thick client technologies to thin-client, browser based technologies.
Zendo Media Inc – CTO and V.P. of Engineering
- Oct 2006 – May 2007
- Designed and developed a handset-agnostic mobile content management and delivery system for games, ringtones, images and videos.
Tvidia Corp – CTO and VP Engineering
- Feb 2004 – Sep 2006
- As CTO of this new venture I was responsible for architecting the company’s mobile content distribution platform and identity management infrastructure.
Elliptic Semiconductor Inc. – Director App Engineering
- Oct 2001 – Nov 2005
- I determined the scope of requirements for a low power wireless TCP/IP and security accelerator. This included architecting the host software, libraries, APIs, drivers and embedded firmware required to support the hardware acceleration components that allow the resulting IC to work correctly in various embedded and host-based operating systems.
Chrysalis-ITS – Director Strategic Marketing
- Mar 1999 – Aug 2001
- Responsible for creating, defending and evolving the IC roadmaps, hardware, software and boards. Worked to develop strategic partnerships with companies in complementary markets to ensure that Chrysalis-ITS customers could be presented with a complete system solution
muDelta Systems Inc. – CTO and Founder Mar 1993 – Mar 1999
Gandalf Data Limited – Software Engineer Aug 1989 – Mar 1993
CAL Corporation – Software Designer May 1987 – Aug 1989
- B.Eng in Systems Engineering, Carleton University, 1986
- Specializing in embedded software design and software/hardware interaction.